Start losing weight now. These 100 weight loss tips will help you get you moving on the path to a healthier you.
I am committed to improving my health. And I am committed to helping you as well. Because you deserve to be healthy.
As I have stated elsewhere on this site, I have learned that “the dryer did not shrink my clothes. The refrigerator did!”
So without further ado…
100 Easy Tips To Help You Lose Weight Now
1. Eliminate highly processed foods from your diet. I eliminated fast food, soda, bread, products with sugar, and other highly processed foods for 90 days and lost 25 pounds.
2. Drink a glass or 2 of water before eating. Water helps fill you up so you eat less.
3. As we age, we tend to lose some sense of thirst. It’s important to drink water often even if you don’t feel thirsty.
4. Plan for a slow, steady drop. Try to lose 1-2 pounds a week by being active and eating better.
5. Try to avoid diets that emphasize one food or nutrient, or eliminate another food. Every time you eat, have protein, good fat and limited carbs to create a well-balanced meal.
BONUS Download: Click here to get a downloadable PDF version of these 100 Tips. You can print out and read later. Or use as a reference.
6. Don’t be afraid of carbs and do not eat so much unhealthy fat when trying to lose weight.
7. Start walking every day. Start with 10 minute walks.
8. Walk at the mall with friends or family.
9. Do weight training to strengthen bones and build muscles. Increased muscles boost metabolism and fat loss.
10. Increase workout intensity and duration.
11. Do activities you enjoy like Walking, biking, dancing, playing ball, martial arts and countless others add variety. Mix it up.
12. At work, stand up for telephone calls.
13. Do some chair sitting exercises.
14. Every week aim for two and a half hours of moderate activity, like brisk walking or dancing.
15. Use smaller plates when attempting to lose weight. A small salad plate works well.
16. Make gradual changes to your lifestyle and poor eating habits.
17. Write down what you eat each day. This helps you keep track of what and how much you are eating so you can determine where you need to make improvements to lose weight.
18. Try to choose low fat options or smaller portions of your favorite foods if you can’t live without them. The goal is to lose weight, not to be miserable.
19. When eating out, order half your entrée as takeout. Have it put directly into a take-home box so it never shows up on your plate. Smaller portions help you lose weight.
20. Snack on carrot sticks to lose weight but make sure you eat them with some type of fat such as a cube of cheese.
21. Snack on celery with almond butter, which is a healthy fat.
22. When trying to lose weight don’t be overly concerned with counting calories. Instead think in terms of variety, freshness and bright colors.
23. Focus on fresh ingredients instead of processed and packaged foods when planning your weight loss.
24. It’s important to read labels and know what’s in any packaged food you do eat. There can be hidden sources of sugar or unhealthy fats.
25. Learn the various names of sugar, both natural and artificial. Knowing the names will help you avoid sugary products.
26. Focus on how you feel after eating different kinds of foods. Healthy foods will make you feel better while junk foods make you feel drained of energy.
27. Drink at least 64 ounces of water a day if you are trying to get rid of some excess weight.
28. Watch out for added calories and carbs in alcoholic drinks when dieting. I eliminated adult beverages for 30 during the Whole30 program.
29. Stock up on a variety of vegetables in fresh, canned or frozen when trying to lose weight. Look for canned vegetables that have no sodium added.
30. Instead of a plain old green salad for lunch, try adding in colorful vegetables to motivate you to eat healthy. Sweet peppers are a great addition to salads.
31. Have a bowl of soup. Soup is filling but is often low in calories. Look for low sodium, broth based soups or make your own.
32. Replace half your normal dessert with a piece of fruit to cut calories.
33. Add your own sweetener to iced tea, plain yogurt or oatmeal. Good natural sweeteners include raw honey, dates, and maple syrup.
34. Reduce the amount of sugar you use in recipes by using cinnamon, nutmeg or vanilla extract instead of sugar.
35. When cooking, use pineapple or pear as a sweetener.
36. Sweets are the enemy when trying to lose weight. Satisfy your sweet tooth by blending frozen bananas.
37. Order an extra side of vegetables or side salad instead of fries when trying to lose weight. Have the toppings and dressings on the side.
38. Buy vegetables that are in season for maximum flavor and lower cost. Choose new varieties to mix up your diet menu.
39. Brush your teeth 30 minutes after eating dinner to help avoid late night snacking binges.
40. Adopt small changes in your eating routine instead of trying to make a big change in how you eat. For example, eliminate sugary sodas first when starting a diet.
41. Opt for foods high in water content when losing weight. Fruits like watermelon, cucumbers and celery are high in water content.
42. Fill half your plate with fruits and vegetables when on a weight loss journey.
43. Eating eggs for breakfast in the morning is a surprising way to lose weight. I changed from oatmeal to eggs.
44. Get rid of the bagels, muffins, sugary cereals and other highly processed food items when dieting. Instead have protein and vegetables or fruit.
45. If you have not been exercising regularly, start slowly to avoid injury.
46. If you have mobility or flexibility issues, try yoga as a stepping stone to other exercise.
47. Do yoga!
48. When trying to lose weight, parties can often feel like there’s nothing but high calorie foods so instead bring the healthy dish to social gatherings.
49. Eat six small meals throughout the day. Mix proteins, good carbs and healthy fats to help you drop pounds.
50. Or eat three meals throughout the day. Ensure you have protein and healthy fats in each meal to feel full and get to the next meal.
51. Set a goals to help you stick to your weight loss plan.
52. Eat smaller portions of your favorite foods.
53. Plan your meals so you know exactly what to eat and when to keep you on your weight loss journey.
54. Avoid food cravings by chewing a piece of gum.
55. Instead of berries and cream for snacks or deserts, substitute coconut milk for cream.
56. Create healthier versions of your favorite recipes when on a weight loss plan.
57. Learn about and measure serving sizes to figure out how much you are actually consuming. We tend to eat more than the recommended size.
58. Don’t cut the good fats from your diet. Healthy fat increases your level of satiation.
59. Take charge of your food environment by cooking your own meals, having smaller portions, being aware of what and how much your eating, and not bringing unhealthy foods into your home.
60. Cook with healthy fats, ghee, olive oil, or coconut oil.
61. Choose food based on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans or the USDA National Nutrient Database.
62. Remember. Housework is a way to exercise. Mopping and vacuuming both require upper body and lower body movement!
63. Fix your mindset. You are not too old, fat, lazy, or whatever to exercise or lose weight.
64. Plan your day. Exercise or work out at your most energetic time of the day.
65. Be consistent with your exercise routine and schedule.
66. So exercise throughout the day. This minimizes depression and frustration of not losing weight fast enough.
67. Cut up vegetables ahead of time and put them in your refrigerator for quick snacks instead of grabbing a sugary snack.
68. Eat 5 servings of vegetables and fruit a day.
69. Eat whole, fresh food; do not eat meal replacement bars or shakes. They are highly processed foods that your body has a hard time processing.
70. Drink veggie based smoothies vice fruit based ones. Many fruits have higher sugar content than vegetables.
71. Switch to steamed foods instead of fried.
72. Eat breakfast with vegetables, lean protein and healthy fats. This will set up you for a great day and avoid out-of-control cravings or hunger.
73. Eliminate fruit juices from your diet.
74. Cook your meals at home. That way you control what goes into your meal.
75. Read labels. Manufacturers often hide sugar, unhealthy fats and chemicals in foods packaged or marked as healthy.
76. Eat less by eating slowly.
77. At the mall or store, park your car further away from the entrance and walk.
78. Take the stairs and not the elevator.
79. Eat more! Skipping meals causes metabolism to slow down and not burn fat.
80. Reduce the amount of TV time. Get up and move around instead.
81. Walk at lunch instead of eating at your desk.
82. Walk to another location to eat lunch.
83. Get a small weight and do arm curls while at work.
84. Walk to the store instead of driving.
85. Talk to a physical trainer as to the best exercises for you.
86. Drink coffee black or switch your creamer to coconut or almond milk. Eliminate the sugar.
87. Carry your briefcase instead of pulling one on wheels.
88. Control or reduce stress. Cortisol levels associated with stress increases fat levels.
89. Buy a DeskCycle Desk Exercise Bike Pedal Exerciser to use at work or at home.
90. Drink lemon juice and water (juice from half lemon in glass of water) first thing when waking up. Research shows it beneficial for reducing both obesity and insulin resistance in humans. Lemon is a diuretic promoting frequent urination and need to get up and go.
91. Bike to work or recreational spots.
92. Walk your or your neighbor’s dog. Jog if the dog wants.
93. Add Apple Cider Vinegar to your morning lemon and water drink. ACV boosts metabolism because it contains malic acid.
94. Eat legumes. Beans are high in fiber and protein and help the body burn fat.
95. Get 7-8 hours of sleep. Sleeps helps the body reset its metabolism and stress levels.
96. Eat bison. It is a lean, tasty meat that is a great substitute for hamburger.
97. Pack your lunch for work or school instead of buying your lunch.
98. Avoid commercial smoothies at the mall or other retail outlets. You have no idea what is in the ingredients or how healthy the ingredients are.
99. Plan your food shopping in advance and make a list. This will minimize impulse food and snack purchases.
100. Celebrate your achievements with a spa day, round of golf or other activity. Do not celebrate with cake or other desert or food item.
I hope you have enjoyed reading the top 100 easy tips to lose weight fast. If you have other tips, any questions or wish to share your experience, please leave a comment below.
Return to Healthy Diet Guide to Losing Belly Fat and Weight